Monday, October 28, 2013

A Great Cloud of Witnesses

This past weekend, I participated/attended seven worship services.  In addition to the five wonderful Reformation services at Epiphany Lutheran Church in Centerville (if you haven't been there I strongly encourage you to check it out some time), I was at Wittenberg University for the installation of Bishop of the Southern Ohio Synod Suzanne Dillahunt on Saturday morning, and at Trinity Lutheran Seminary for the installation of President Rick Barger on Sunday night. It was a great weekend of Word and Sacrament.

While I was looking forward to the services (I do love worship), I was not expecting to be so moved by gathering with the many classmates, colleagues, teachers and friends who worshiped with me. At Bishop Dillahunt's installation, I joined in with dozens of my colleagues who processed for the service.

Entering Weaver Chapel
I had the opportunity to visit with many who serve congregations throughout the synod and share with them our mutual joys and challenges in our settings. We sang with great gusto in the entryway of Weaver Chapel waiting for our time to enter, and realized we were a couple of beats ahead of the organist when we finally entered.

"The Church's One Foundation"

Dr Wally Taylor
                         
Dr. Wally Taylor preached an incredible sermon (he was my New Testament teacher in seminary - a brilliant scholar and great orator), and the music was so very good. Both Bishop Mark Hanson (his final official act as Presiding Bishop of the ELCA) and Bishop Elizabeth Eaton (newly elected Presiding Bishop of the ELCA) led the installation service. I am thankful for their willingness and ability to share the duty so graciously.  (more pictures can be found at the Southern Ohio Synod Facebook page)

Left to Right - Bishops Eaton, Dillahunt and Hanson 

 
After the service at Wittenberg University, I headed home for five wonderful services at Epiphany Lutheran Church. Our worship services were great Reformation celebrations, filled with great music, red balloons, joy and celebration. I wore my Reformation Socks - my aunts bought them for me in Germany years ago - there is writing on the socks that read "Here I Stand." You can only wear those once a year! The choir led the congregation in an anthem together with a brass quartet, and we sang "A Mighty Fortress" that lifted us up and led us out filled with joy. Larry and Cindy Hoffsis provided us with decorations and wonderful artifacts from Germany, including an old German Bible, maps and artwork. What a festive day.

On Sunday evening, Lisa and I headed over to Trinity Lutheran Seminary for the installation of Rick Barger as the fourth president of Trinity Lutheran Seminary. Bishop Dillahunt presided, and Bishop Eaton preached. President Barger was a classmate of mine - just a year ahead of me in seminary. I am excited about his leadership and his dedication to the institution, but more so than that, his faithful devotion to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Bishop Eaton



Dr. Rick Barger
(Pictures by my colleague and friend - Pastor Aaron Layne)

It has been many years since I have seen some of my seminary professors, and I was moved to tears when I recognized one after another. We all have gotten older. My Old Testament professor, who can barely walk, was ushered to communion by my Church History professor - hand in hand, these two men who nurtured me in my faith formation approached the altar to be nurtured by Jesus' precious gift. Another Old Testament professor shuffled to his seat, and I could still see the glint of joy and serendipity in his eye. I got a chance to speak with former President Fred Meuser, who over the years has become a mentor and friend. At the young age of 90, he still finds opportunities to preach and teach. And a couple rows in front of us, youth from my previous congregation, together with their faithful leaders joined in the celebration.  And in the midst of that holy place where I "heard the wonder of the Word," the saints who have gone before us were there with us at the gathering place at the altar as we gathered with the communion of saints to share the feast. 

Together with so many classmates and colleagues, friends and loved ones, this weekend I believe I caught a glimpse of heaven. I communed with the saints. I worshiped with the witnesses who have molded, encouraged and nurtured me, as well as some I have had the opportunity to nurture. This is the Kingdom of God.

Hebrews 12:1  "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us."


After this weekend, I am ready to run the race!




Peace,
Pastor Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment