Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Dependent

This past weekend, our son Andrew came home for a visit.  Andrew graduated from Ohio Northern University with a Pharmacy degree back in May and is now gainfully employed by CVS Pharmacy in the Cleveland area.  He brought home with him his 5 month old Newfoundlander puppy, Enzo. Enzo weighs in at 53 pounds - he will gain another 80 to 90 pounds in the coming months!  Enzo and our Golden Retriever Maggie had a great time playing in the back yard and around the house. Even at 5 months, Enzo is not the fastest dog in the world; he kind of lopes when he runs, and he is growing into his legs. Maggie ran circles around him in the back yard, and both were worn out when the day was done.

 
It was great to have the boys home!  Two things that struck me when they were here. First of all, I observed first-hand my son caring for this animal that is dependent on him for care, food, guidance and love. Enzo is Andrew's responsibility, and it was a blessing to see him in that role. This young man my wife and I raised and nurtured is now the one who nurtures. Yes, I know some day it will be babies instead of dogs, but one thing at a time!
 
The second observation is that this was the first time my son came for a visit and he left without asking for, or me offering him money! Our dependent has become independent (and there was much rejoicing!). I believe that both parties are thankful this. And even though it is not a big thing, it is a transition in our lives. We have all gone through it, haven't we? 
 
And yet I know there may come a day when I may become the one dependent on my son. Many of us have gone through this as well, haven't we? Both Mom and Dad became dependent on my brothers and me. It was not something that we planned on, but rather it became a necessity, and I am thankful that my brothers and I were able to provide the care and assistance they needed in their final days (especially grateful to my brother who lived within a few miles of them their final days and gave much time and loving care for them). I am well aware that our children watched us as we cared for our parents, knowing that this may be their charge in the DISTANT future.
 
In caring for those dependent on us, we provide a model for their role to be the caregivers and nurturers. God provides parents and people for us who are authorities in our lives so that we might be cared for, as well as models for how to care for others. In God's great love for us, we have a model of unconditional love, care and support. Through our caring for others, we are given the opportunity to share God's love. It is the circle of life, the community of family and friends that give us a glimpse of God's love in action.
 
Ever dependent on God, may we be instruments of God's love to those who are dependent on us.
 
Peace,

Pastor Charlie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment