Monday, January 13, 2014

Let the Call Process Begin

I hope you were able to join us for Pastor Sara's farewell party last Sunday. It was quite an event! A great turn-out, wonderful food and fellowship, and much heart-felt thanks and appreciation for Pastor Sara's leadership and devotion to God and the church she loves.

Now she moves on to a new venture. We, too, enter a new venture at Epiphany Lutheran Church - the call process. It was not all that long ago that Epiphany was going through the process of calling a senior pastor to serve, and we all know how that turned out! (By the way, thank you!) And while this process will be different from the last, there are many similarities.

First of all, the differences. The obvious one is that Epiphany is in a different place than we were three years ago when the process began. With the change in leadership, a number of members leaving the church, and uncertainty as to what was going to happen next, there were a lot of questions to be answered, and a clarity of direction to be determined. Second, the call for a senior pastor is usually more lengthy than for an associate. The senior pastor is the one called to set a vision and direction for the church, while an associate is called based on that set vision and direction. Third, a rule of thumb often suggested for an interim period is that the interim should last one month for every year the previous pastor served. The longer the tenure, the longer the interim should be. This is not a requirement or a rule, but a suggestion that allows time for the congregation to transition.

The similarities include the fact, as I mentioned before, that it has not been too long since I was called here to serve. I arrived in October of 2012 - just over 15 months ago. So much of the paperwork we need for the call process in in place. That will help in moving the process forward. Also, the congregation is familiar with the process, so instead of educating everyone on what will transpire, we will be more about reminding.

The most important similar factor is to remember that this is not a job interview or a spot to be filled, but it is to be considered a call to serve God in this place at this time. I remember having a conversation with a colleague of mine as I was being considered to serve a church back some 20 years ago, which would mean leaving my first call and serving in a different state. While the interviews had gone very well, his words have stuck with me for over 20 years. He shared with me that when we graduated from seminary, he took the first call that he received. He was anxious to be done with school, had bills to pay, and was ready to get going. He lasted only 18 months at that first call. He soon learned that it was not a good fit. His second call he approached quite differently. Through prayer and discernment, he knew that the call he accepted was where God was calling him to be. He has served that church for many years.  He said to me, "If it is where you are supposed to be, you will know. Let the Spirit work."

I took his advice then, and in every call process since. Going back to that interview and call process in 1993, I knew after interviewing there that it was not where God was calling my family and me to be. Several other interviews have occurred since then, and each time, I have sought to follow where the Spirit leads. The words of wisdom my friend shared with me have stuck with me. I truly believe the Spirit of God led me to the churches I have served since then - in Delaware, Westerville, and now Centerville. I am thankful for my colleague's advice. And I am thankful that God has led us here!

As we begin the process, I invite you to join me in praying for God's guidance. God WILL make a way. God WILL provide. God WILL guide us, if we only are open to it. God is in charge. We may need that reminder every now and then in the coming months.

If you have any questions about the process in the coming days, please feel free to let me know.

Peace,
Pastor Charlie




No comments:

Post a Comment