Monday, September 16, 2013

Dancing in the Aisles

Have you been to worship at Epiphany’s Austin Campus lately?  It’s located south of Centerville on the corners of Social Row and Sheehan Road, and it was opened about three years ago. We are blessed to have two campuses for worship and ministry. Over the past few months, I have noticed an increase in the number of young children at the worship services there. I’m quite pleased to say that I have noticed more and more families worshiping together at ALL our services - it is great to see. The Austin Campus, in particular, is filled with many children and teen-agers, sometimes making up half of the participants in worship. 

I truly believe that when we provide an environment for kids to participate in worship, to feel welcomed and happy in worship, we are creating good habits that last a lifetime. And when we see the church filled with all ages – couples, singles, families, empty-nesters - we get a glimpse of the kingdom of God. When I see young children coming to worship, I see our young brothers and sisters in Christ who we welcomed when they were baptized, and who we promised to support and nurture in their faith journey. This past Sunday at the Austin Campus, it was a blessing to see children dancing in the aisles!  A few young girls seated in the front row with their families moved away from their seats and danced to the music. I will tell you that I was tempted to join them, but if you have ever seen me dance, you would agree it was best to not join in (know your gifts!). Their joy and celebration tied into the Gospel lesson for Sunday so well - "...there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents." (Luke 15:10)

When I stepped out to get a drink of water after my sermon, I walked past the nursery, which was empty except for the nursery attendant. I am thankful that we have safe place where children can go if they need to be out of worship for a time, and some children did go into the nursery later in the service.  But what a joy to see that the parents felt their kids were welcomed to join in church, and because of it, we were blessed.  


After worship on Sunday, a friend of mine shared this link to a weblog on his Facebook page. The timing was perfect.  I share it with you here (click on the picture below).

Thank you, dear children, for sharing your joy with us. Maybe next time, I will have to join in the dance!




Peace,

Pastor Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment