Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Variations on a Theme

Music is a wonderful gift that can be shared in many different ways. In the summer musical at Epiphany, "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" this is played out. In telling the story of Joseph and his 11 brothers, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice use a variety of musical styles -there is rock, calypso, western and even some "Charleston" thrown in for good measure! I have been listening to the music of the show a lot the past few weeks as my wife, Lisa is one of the band members, so she has been practicing for weeks at home, and I have stopped in at a few rehearsals to see things progress. The music is great, the message is solid and the show is a lot of fun. You don't want to miss it!

(I wanted to make sure I got in one more shameless promotion for the show!)

The same message can be shared differently through some variations on the theme. I thought I would make this a musical montage this week with an example of this using the song, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." For many of us, the first time we heard this was in the 1939 movie "Wizard of Oz" (the same year "Gone with the Wind" was released). Here is Judy Garland and Toto too! We grew up with this song, sang it in school music classes, and it was one of those songs everyone knew.



In the 1990s, a Hawaiian singer by the name of Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole' redorded a version of the song. I remember first hearing it on a TV commercial. In doing some research, I have found that this version of the song has been used in dozens of commercials. Because of this song, I purchased other songs by this artist. Here is his version. I am sure it will sound familiar.


A couple years ago, in preparing a slideshow for a friend's funeral, a family member gave me a recording of the song done by Eva Cassidy. I had never heard of this artist before, but when I heard this voice, I knew I wanted to hear more. 


Judy Garland, Eva Cassidy and Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole have all passed away, but their music lives on.

One final entry into this montage is by a favorite group of mine, The Piano Guys. As a former cello player, I love to listen and to watch these guys play their instruments, and where they find places to play them.  


Thank God for the gift of music. There are a variety of gifts, but the same Spirit!

Peace,

Pastor Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment