Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Some things never change

This past weekend, we headed up to Michigan to spend Thanksgiving with my wife's family. While we were back in the place of our youth (Lisa and I both grew up in the Detroit area) we got together with our college friends. This get-together is an annual event, and has been going on for nearly 30 years! My wife and I both graduated from Central Michigan University. We belonged to a folk group that was a part of the church we attended while there. From that group, there are five couples that make up this annual gathering. In fact, Lisa's roommate and my roommate got married as well! We have grown in numbers, as our children have become a part of our time together.

When we get together, it is as if time had stood still - we pick up right where we left off the last time we were together. As soon as I am greeted at the door of our hosts, I know I am among good friends who know me well, and I can be me. Do you know what I mean? Those people know me, and we have been through so much together. And even though we are MUCH older than when we first met, it is as as if things haven't changed.

And yet, things HAVE changed. We remember each other as college kids, wondering what the future would hold for us. Conversations used to be about wedding plans, babies on the way, buying a first car, a first house. That progressed on to schooling for the kids, aging parents, college for the kids and THEIR wedding plans. This year, we talked about retirement plans. Who would have thought back when we were studying for final exams at CMU that we would be, some day, sitting around talking retirement plans? By the way, I am not planning to retire any time soon - we just bought a new house!

Some things never change. And some things do. Isn't this true in our faith journey? Last Sunday, we heard the Lord God say, "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end." (Revelation 1) God is - always has been, and always will be. And even when things change in our lives, God is. The truth is God loves us. The truth is that this love will never end. This will never change. We never know what tomorrow will bring, let alone today. But today, tomorrow, just like yesterday, God is with us. It is good to know some things never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment