Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My Church


My Church

There is an old hymn entitled "My Church! My Church! My Dear Old Church!" You won't find it in the new hymnals today, but I heard mention of it by those who have been Lutheran longer than me (that is a nice way of saying "older than me" don't you think?).  The song was published in the book The Way of Salvation in the Lutheran Church by GH Gerberding in 1887.

Here is the first of its seven verses:
My Church! my Church! my dear old Church!
My fathers' and my own!
On Prophets and Apostles built,
And Christ the Corner-stone!
All else beside, by storm or tide
May yet be overthrown;
But not my Church, my dear old Church,
My fathers' and my own!

What makes a church "My Church?" At what point in the relationship do we claim the church ours? And let me be clear that what I am talking about is not the church catholic or even our denomination or branch of the Lutheran faith. I am talking about the church I attend, am a member of, and where I worship.

First of all, and most important, it is God's church, not ours. We are called to be stewards of it, just like everything else God has given us. But it still belongs to God. So I must be careful when I say "My Church!" As the second line of the hymn states - "My father's and my own!" The church belongs to God.

Somewhere along the way, we first attended this church. Either it was as a visitor, or as a child brought to church by a parent or parents. I had a young man in a previous church tell me that growing up he had a drug problem. He said, "Yeah, my parents drug me to church." One way or another, we got here. And for a period of time, we were considered visitors. Through a class and possibly a transfer of membership, we were welcomed in as members. Is that when the church became ours? Or does the church become ours when we join in a group, participate in a choir or ensemble, attend a Bible study? Or does the church become ours when we get our offering envelopes and give to support its mission and ministry.

As a new pastor at the church, I shared on my first Sunday that the guest has become the host. I had been welcomed as a guest, and given a great welcome by the Call Committee, Council and members of the church. The congregation voted, and I was called to come to serve as pastor. I accepted that call. Then that first weekend of worship came, and now I had become a part of the church. This is now my church. And yet, I too must remember that it is not solely my church, but God's church.

I believe we claim the church to be ours when we see ourselves as the host and not the guest. My hope is that the church, Epiphany Lutheran Church is considered by those of us who call it "Our Church" can be a place of joy and welcome. I pray that we can be "Lutheran Proud, but not too proud" (I saw this on a t-shirt at the National Youth Gathering earlier this summer) and share with others "our church." I hope and pray that, together, we continue to take ownership of the care and leadership of that which God has entrusted to us. I hope and pray that through the mission and ministry of Epiphany Lutheran Church, God is glorified, and that, together, we will love Jesus by serving others. 

My church. Our church. God's church.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment