Monday, October 15, 2012

The Woodward Family

I am a graduate of Central Michigan University.  It was at college that I first attended a Lutheran church.  I had grown up attending the First Congregational Church in Royal Oak, but there were no Congregational churches near campus for me to attend.  My best friend invited me to the church on campus, because he had been invited by the pastor to come and check out the church - that was back in the day when you stated your church affiliation on your college registration.  My friend, Chip and I went to Christ the King Lutheran Chapel our first Sunday.  The church is located next to the Catholic church, both of which are right in the middle of the campus.  The pastor there was great, and the liturgy gave structure to the service like I had never experienced - I was hooked.  It was at the chapel I met my future wife (hooked again!).  We belonged to a folk group through the church, and we still have many friends who were a part of that college group.

I graduated with a degree in accounting, and my wife received a degree in music education.  I worked for an engineering firm in the Detroit area as a cost accountant, and my wife substitute taught and worked retail in the local mall.  I enjoyed my work, but felt there was something missing - something else I was supposed to do.  I remember former seminary president Dr. Fred Meuser saying, "a call to ministry is often like an itch you can't scratch any other way." 

After a year of accounting, we made a decision to see if this itch was possibly outdoor ministry - we headed to New York to a camp in the foothills of the Catskills - Koinonia.  We both had camp experience in our blood, and love the outdoors, but we came to realize this was is not where we were called to be.  Don't get me wrong - I continue to be very active in camp ministry, and attribute my time as a camp counselor as being very instrumental in clarifying this call to ministry, but I am not the one to be a camp director. 

Off to seminary, where our two children were born.  Then on to calls in Massillon, Delaware and Westerville - all in the great state of Ohio.  Lisa's love for music continued, but found that her itch was the law -  she went back to school for a paralegal degree, then later on to Capital University Law School to become a lawyer.  I guess you can say we have the law and gospel covered in our house!

Our kids are now out of the house - daughter Bethany was married in August and lives with husband Brad in Elyria, a suburb of Cleveland.  He is a math teacher and she substitute teaches and accompanies a couple choirs in the local schools.  Son Andrew is finishing up his schooling at Ohio Northern in the Pharmacy program.  He will graduate in May, 2013. 

PC, Lisa, Bethany, Brad and Andrew
 
God has blessed us and guided us to where we are today.  As I look back, I can see the faces of so many who gave us love, support and guidance along the way.  Some of these were very deliberate and direct, while others were much more subtle and may not even have been recognized by those who touched our lives.  Who has touched your life - molded you and shaped you and guided you to where you are today?  I truly believe God has placed these people in our lives for a reason.  I encourage you to give thanks to God for those who have come and gone to bring you where you are today.

Peace,
PC

A FOOTNOTE: 
Enough about me!  Starting next week, the PC introductions will be over.  Now I would like to hear  your story.   I encourage you to take time to share with me three things -
1.  What brought you to Epiphany Lutheran Church?
2.  What is it about Epiphany that made you stay?
3.  What is your hope for Epiphany Lutheran Church?

Contact me via e-mail (cwoodward@epiphanydayton.org), or stop in the office and visit with me some time.  If I am there, the door is open, and you are welcome any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment