Monday, October 8, 2012

Growing Up in the Church


I am the youngest of four boys.  From as far back as memories will take me, I remember going to church - it was just what we did.  A high-schooler in a previous church I served told me he had a drug problem - he said, "Yeah, my parents DRUG me to church."  I guess you could say we had the same drug problem.  I don't remember much discussion or argument about it, it was just what we did.  My brothers and parents were role models for me in my life in the church - all active and all found a place where they felt they belonged.  Dad was head usher a couple months out of the year, served on various committees and event planning groups, and Mom was active in Bible studies and worked in the library.  My brothers were active in the youth program at the church, and it was there that their circle of friends gathered.  It was at the church that we felt we belonged, and it was there that our faith was nurtured and shaped.  I truly believe that our involvement in the church had a great influence in our lives and the way we have raised our children. I give thanks to my family for setting the example for me in my life in the church.

Mom and Dad are both gone now - Dad passed away in 2008, and Mom passed away earlier this year.  We gathered at the church of our youth, surrounded by those who shared many memories of how Mom and Dad influenced them in their faith journeys as well.  One gentleman shared that it was because of my Dad's invitation to serve as an usher that he found his place in the church, and is still active to this day.   I guess he had the same DRUG problem we did!   It was just one of many stories we heard about Dad, and similar comments about Mom as well.  Dad was not one to talk about his faith very much, but his actions spoke louder than words - his time and devotion set an example for others.  Mom's gift was in her sharing and compassion for others.  It wasn't through preaching or teaching, but through living the faith that my parents set an example for us and for others.

Who has been a faith role-model for you?  And who do you think might consider you a role-model of faith?  May our words and actions reflect God's grace.  And may the church be a place where faith can be nurtured and strengthened for those who gather, and those who follow us in future generations.




A PICTURE from my daughter's wedding of my brothers and me

Peace,
PC

No comments:

Post a Comment