Monday, February 9, 2015

Proclaim The Gospel

This past Sunday, we heard Paul's message to the Corinthians, that he will do whatever it takes to proclaim the Gospel. In this translation, the term, "the Message" is used in place of "the Gospel." St. Paul writes:

Still, I want it made clear that I’ve never gotten anything out of this for myself, and that I’m not writing now to get something. I’d rather die than give anyone ammunition to discredit me or impugn my motives. If I proclaim the Message, it’s not to get something out of it for myself. I’m compelled to do it, and doomed if I don’t! If this was my own idea of just another way to make a living, I’d expect some pay. But since it’s not my idea but something solemnly entrusted to me, why would I expect to get paid? So am I getting anything out of it? Yes, as a matter of fact: the pleasure of proclaiming the Message at no cost to you. You don’t even have to pay my expenses!

Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people: religious, nonreligious, meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists, the defeated, the demoralized—whoever. I didn’t take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ—but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I’ve become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. I did all this because of the Message. I didn’t just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in on it!  (1 Corinthians 9:15-23 - The Message)

Paul is dedicated to sharing the Message no matter the cost. Proclaiming the Gospel/Message is more than getting up and preaching every week. Paul suggests it is more than that. It is a way of life.

We are called to proclaim the Gospel - in what ways does that happen? A quote attributed to St. Francis of Assisi is, "Preach the Gospel. If necessary, use words." I believe the Gospel/Message is proclaimed by our words and our actions as we live out our lives as children of God, reflecting God's great love and blessings to the world.

At our staff meeting last week, a member of the staff shared the following video clip. I am not doing this to endorse the movie (although I am interested in seeing it), but rather to share the message.



Powerful. I am not sure there is much more to say.

Peace,

Pastor Charlie


No comments:

Post a Comment