Monday, September 29, 2014

One Hundred And Counting

This week marks my two year anniversary here at Epiphany Lutheran Church. Someone once told me as a pastor in your first year at a church, you can't do anything wrong and the second year you can't do anything right. It is in the third year that ministry moves forward. I don't know how true this adage may be, but I am ready to move forward in ministry in this wonderful congregation.

When I came two years ago, interim pastor Pete Rudowski shared with me that he had started a blog to keep the communication lines open with the congregation and community. I found his blog insightful and helpful in the call process to get a pulse of the congregation and his leadership. When I arrived, I was asked if I wanted to continue to offer a blog. "Sure. Why not!" I thought I would give it a try and see how it would go. Well, today I am writing blog #100.

When I started, I didn't know what I was doing, or what I was supposed to do. Two years later, I am still not sure what I am doing or what I am supposed to do, but I do it. My focus is to share where I have seen God active and alive in my life the past week. It has become a blessed discipline.

I appreciate the comments I receive from people who read the blog regularly. I visited one member who shared with me her appreciation for the blog because her hearing is poor and sermons are hard for her to hear, but the blog she can read. The blog has also been an opportunity for people to share their stories with me. I am so thankful for the many stories people have shared with me about how God is active in their lives.

Maybe we should all write blogs! Maybe taking the time each week, or even each day to answer the question, "Where did you see the hand of God today?" It is a simple exercise, really. And it is a great springboard for prayer. Where did you see God? Thank God for that! Let me give you an example or two. This weekend I saw the hand of God as Pastor Jay stood before the congregation and was officially installed as one of our pastors. The past nine months of discerning God's future for Epiphany Lutheran Church, the formulation of a call committee, the call process and the call to a candidate all came together this weekend. God's fingerprints are all over this, and it is exciting to see. Dear God, thank you for your guidance in bringing Pastor Jay Shailer to Epiphany. AMEN!

Yesterday afternoon, we blessed the pets of many church members and friends. Many dogs, a few cats, and a bird. I even received a thank you note from one of the dogs this morning (I think his owner may have helped). Thank you God for our pets!

This morning, on the way into work, I saw the most beautiful cloud shimmering in the early morning sun. The lingering darkness to the west caused its shadow to be a deep purple. On the eastern side of the cloud, the rising sun sent its rays to brighten the cloud in shimmering white. And in the middle of the cloud, rising to the heavens, a red band of light where the colors met. My first thought was "Can I get a picture of it?" My second thought was to just enjoy it, and give thanks to God for it. Thank you God for your beautiful creation.

100 and counting. Thanks for reading.

Peace,

Pastor Charlie





No comments:

Post a Comment