Tuesday, July 15, 2014

I Will and I Ask God to Help Me

There was a celebration at Epiphany Lutheran Church this past Saturday. We gathered for the ordination of Sean Barrett to be a pastor in the Lutheran Church. As a member of the Epiphany for the past 15 years, it was a great opportunity for us to gather together with him to celebrate with him in this next journey of his ministry and faith. Sean has been in seminary for the past four years, including three years of classes and a year of internship in Vandalia, Ohio. The past few months, Sean has been helping out in leading worship at the Epiphany's Austin campus.

Sean has received a call to St. Peter's Lutheran Church in Salisbury, North Carolina. After years of discernment, training, study, and hard work, this day had finally come. We gathered with members of Epiphany, Sean's classmates, family and friends, neighboring pastors and more to celebrate this day. Bishop Dillahunt presided and Dr. Rick Berger of Trinity Lutheran Seminary preached an incredible sermon to say the least. 

As a participant in the service, I was reminded of my own ordination many years ago. Hearing again the words asked Sean this he takes on the yoke of ministry, the service became a time of reaffirmation of call for me and my colleagues as well.

Bishop:   Before almighty God, to whom you must give account, and in the presence of this assembly, I ask: Will you assume this office, believing that the church's call is God's call to the ministry of word and sacrament? 

Sean: I will, and I ask God to help me. 

Bishop: The church in which you are to be ordained confesses that the holy scriptures are the word of God and are the norm of its faith and life. We accept, teach, and confess the Apostles', the Nicene, and the Athanasian Creeds. We also acknowledge the Lutheran confessions as true witnesses and faithful expositions of the holy scriptures. Will you therefore preach and teach in accordance with the holy scriptures and these creeds and confessions? 

Sean: I will, and I ask God to help me. 

Bishop: Will you be diligent in your study of the holy scriptures and faithful in your use of the means of grace? Will you pray for God's people, nourish them with the word and sacraments, and lead them by your own example in faithful service and holy living? 

Sean: I will, and I ask God to help me.

Bishop: Will you give faithful witness in the world, that God's love may be known in all that you do? 

Sean: I will, and I ask God to help me. 

Bishop:   Almighty God, who has given you the will to do these things, graciously give you the strength and compassion to perform them.  Amen.



This was a powerful reminder to me about what it means to be called to be a pastor of Word and Sacrament. It was an opportunity for me to center again and what I am called to do and to be. 

I believe baptism services are similar to this for us as well, as we hear the promises made at the font. The promises to learn about God, the Lord's Prayer, the Creed and the 10 Commandments, to read the Scriptures, to come to worship, and to remember the promises God makes us to the waters of baptism that we belong to God. We need to be reminded of the gift of God's love and grace, and the call we ALL have to ministry. 

God calls us all to ministry. May we be bold enough to respond to God's call saying, "I will and to ask God to help me."

Peace,

Pastor Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment