Monday, June 23, 2014

Seeing is Believing

I was on vacation last week. I posted a few pictures on Facebook and Instagram to share some of the beautiful views of the Gulf Coast we experienced all week. I am not sure everyone enjoyed seeing them as much as I did in sharing them. I love to take pictures and enjoy all the more sharing them with others. The intent was not to make my friends jealous, but to capture the moment and let others experience the beauty of God's creation. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it). Below are some pictures I took last week.

In the Gospel of John, seeing and believing are often tied together. In chapter 9, we hear the story of the young man born blind. Jesus heals him, and as he regains his sight, he also grows in faith. At first, he knows Jesus as only the one who healed him. By the end of the chapter the young man sees that Jesus is his Lord and Savior, and he bows down to worship him. Later in John, after Jesus has risen from the dead, he appears to most of his disciples - Thomas is not present. When the disciples see it is really Jesus, they believe. Thomas is told by the others what they saw, but Thomas will not believe until he sees it for himself. Jesus does appear again and grants Thomas' wish. Thomas responds with the strong words of confession - "My Lord and My God." Jesus then says, "Blessed are those who do NOT see and yet have come to believe."

While in Florida, we found out that friends of ours from a previous congregation were nearby for a business trip. We made arrangements to join them for dinner at a place between our two locations, and had a great dinner and wonderful conversation. We got caught up on one another's families, and reminisced about a dear friend from the church who recently passed away.

When the meal came, my wife gave me the "Hey, Pastor, don't you think we ought to have a prayer" nudge, and so I offered. As is my habit, I bowed my head and closed my eyes, and I prayed for the meal and offered words of thanks for the time together. When I was done, I opened my eyes to see my friend, Bill, eyes fixed on me and a smile on his face. Bill is deaf. You wouldn't know it in passing. He has the gift of reading lips, and focuses intently on those speaking to him. He would always sit in the first pew and want to make sure he had eye contact with the pastor and leaders. St. Paul writes that faith comes through hearing. For Bill, faith comes through seeing.

I was touched once again by Bill's attention to me when I spoke, and catching his eye at the end of my prayer touched me deeply. How intently do I listen? Where is my attention? What do I look for and what is it I am listening to? Maybe I need to pay more attention.

Yes, seeing is believing. I give thanks to God for the beauty of creation, found not only in the sea and sky and plants and trees, but also in the faces of those who share God's love with me.

Peace,

Pastor Charlie



Dinner with Friends


Breakfast at a favorite spot 


A morning sail



Lisa and Me at Father's Day Dinner at a nice restaurant


After a morning walk on the beach


The view the other direction on the beach


A 360 degree panorama of sunset


1 comment:

  1. This was a very nice blog post, Pastor Charlie. Thanks for sharing some wonderful vacation photos, and thanks most of all for a lovely story that tugged on my heartstrings for sure.

    ReplyDelete