Monday, February 10, 2014

Do You See What I See


I had a conversation with a young girl (about 8 or 9 years old) at church on Sunday after worship.  She asked me if my glasses were new.  I told her they are new, and that with these new glasses, I can see everything people are doing in their seats during worship.  She said, “Oh, kind of like a security camera!”  Out of the mouths of babes!

It is true that from the front of the church, one can see all kinds of things going on, such as who is sitting where, who didn't get enough sleep last night, who is trying to keep their child in line, and so much more. And since we are creatures of habit, worship is a time for us worship leaders to take attendance. This has taken some time for me to figure out here at Epiphany Lutheran Church with six worship services on a weekend at our two campuses, but I am learning. 

Here is a little trick you can play on your pastor – sit somewhere different. At my parents’ church several years ago on April Fool’s Day, the ushers asked everyone coming in to church to sit on the opposite side of the church. It wasn’t long into the service that the pastor knew something was not right!

I have also noticed that there are times I say something during a sermon that hits a nerve, causes some emotional response, or even times when whoever is listening doesn't comprehend what I just said (I hope that doesn't happen too often). I have come to learn how to read people’s faces, which sometimes can be helpful, and other times… not so much. I remember one Sunday at a previous church, all through my sermon, a member continued to look off in the distance, head tilted, and a puzzled look on his face. 

Afterwards I spoke with him and told him I noticed his puzzled expression, and so I wanted to asked him what was troubling him. A little embarrassed, he said he wasn’t paying too much attention to the sermon, because he couldn't help but notice the angel on top of the Christmas tree in the front of the church was crooked, and he was wondering how he might fix that later. 

On the flip side, I imagine you all can see what we are doing up front during worship, too. I try to be mindful of that, so that my actions don’t get in the way of the message, if you know what I mean. My hope and prayer is that all that we say and do as worship leaders point to Jesus Christ, and the good news we receive through him. One of my colleagues would begin each of his sermons by praying, “And now we wish to see Jesus, and Him only.” That is my charge, and the reason for us to be here.

Let your light shine before others, so they may see your good works, and give glory to your Father in heaven. And be careful what you do in the pews. I have new security camera glasses! 

Peace,


Pastor Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment