Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My Dog



Maybe you have heard the saying, "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am!" If I were half the person my dog thinks I am, I would likely be a much better person.

We are a dog family. After a short stint with cats, my wife developed a cat allergy. It was not long after that that we welcomed Sandie the mutt to our family. She was two years old when we got her and a great family pet. After she passed away came Casey, a golden retriever puppy. She was a lover, a faithful companion and great with everyone.

When she died rather suddenly, it was not long before my wife was researching local golden retriever breeders to find our next companion. Maggie was born in February, 2012 and came home a couple months later. She has been with us in our transitions and joys and sorrows, always ready to greet us, to snuggle up against us, and to let us know that she is glad to see us. 

For me, there is a sense of comfort and joy I experience when my dog greets me with a wagging tail, a toy in her mouth ready to play, and her constant presence at my side when I sit down on the couch. 


She is glad to see me no matter what kind of day I have had. She thinks I am worthy of her undivided attention. She seems to always be focused in the present, the here and now, and not concerned with what happened yesterday or the schedule for tomorrow. 

I know I am not alone in this - many of us have pets. These animals are blessings from God. All that is good is a gift from God. We are called by God to be stewards or caretakers of God's creation, and all that dwells therein, and it is through God's creation we behold God's love for us. Yes, I believe God blesses us with pets who give us comfort and joy as a way of showing God's love to us. 

Thank God for the beauty of God's creation. Thank God for pets.

Peace,
Pastor Charlie

Here is a little video I put together last Spring when Maggie first came home.  


No comments:

Post a Comment