Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Interfaith Hospitality Network

A couple weeks ago, I had the privilege and joy of hosting a night at the Greene County Interfaith Hospitality facility with other Epiphany members.  The Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN) of Greene County is a nonprofit ministry committed to uniting the religious community in Greene County to provide shelter, meals and assistance to homeless families. Their mission is to reach out as messengers of God, reflecting His unconditional love with compassion and acceptance, providing help, hope and a safe haven for our guests while they seek permanent employment and affordable housing. There are many opportunities for us as a church to get involved. When assigned for the week, we provide meals, hosting, and opportunities just to meet and greet the families.

The old Francis Inn in Xenia, Ohio was transformed into a facility for this program for the past three years. Epiphany Lutheran Church is one of 10 hosting churches that are involved in the program. The building has 10 bedrooms, four bathrooms with showers, a host room, storage and office space, a laundry room, kitchen and eating space, computers for homework and job searching, and even a quiet lounge area for some downtime for those staying there.

There is an Executive Director, and Administrative Assistant, a Kitchen Manager, a Training Manager and a weekend staff person who make the program work. A dedicated Board of Trustees and an Advisory board offer support and guidance as well. The goal of the program is to serve 50 displaced families a year with case management, temporary lodging, and nutritious meals, and placing at least 40 of these families in permanent housing each year. 
What I appreciate about the ministry is the opportunity not just to serve, but to be with the people you are serving. There is a great sense of community that happens in this place. While I was there, I had the opportunity to meet the parents and kids who are currently there. One little girl, just three years old, became my shadow – I will call her Tiffany. As Jim Evans (Epiphany member and chair of the IHN Board) was giving me a tour, Tiffany wanted to show me everything on the walls, on the floor, and more! I could tell she felt at home in this place, a place that is safe and welcoming. I realized that while I had come to be her host, she wanted to be mine. 

This ministry relies on the support of donations and gifts to keep this ministry going. One way you can support this is through the IHN Golf Marathon 2013. We hope to have 40 golfers participate (I am one of them) who will be playing 100 holes of golf to raise funds for IHN. If you would like to sponsor me or my partner, Ted Urban (we are splitting the holes and doing 50 each!), contact me and I will send you more information (cwoodward@epiphanydayton.org). 

Thanks and Peace,

Pastor Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment